Tuesday, March 23, 2021

My brain is part of my body!

Recently, when talking to my kids I mentioned that I haven't been feeling very well lately and that I need to make an appointment with my doctor.  Izzy immediately asked, "Is it a physical problem or a mental problem, Mom?"

I responded, "Izzy, my brain is part of my physical body."

As open as I try to be with my kids, I realize I may have missed the mark with mental illness.  I have struggled with ADHD since I was a kid and anxiety and depression for most of my adult life as well.  Only recently have I begun to speak about these issues unashamedly.

There have been more conversations and positive strides in how we view mental illness in recent years but the conversation must continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My brain is part of my body!

Recently, when talking to my kids I mentioned that I haven't been feeling very well lately and that I need to make an appointment with m...